Pages

Sunday, September 25, 2016

Tall Tales for the primary Child

I love introducing different genes to the class for reading.
One of my favorites is Tall Tales.
They are perfect for introducing exaggerations and descriptive words.
The trouble was that I found it very difficult to find literature that was at their level for reading.
So...I put my creative mind together and came up with this packet.

Each character has an outline page describing them, a mini book, and some form of recall or assessment.
These are followed with a craft.
I love decorating our room with tall tale characters.

Each character also has...vocabulary work (definitions), colorful vocabulary cards for posting, a writing page and then a math activity.


The packet ends with the kiddos writing their own tall tale or about one of the tall tale characters for a class book.
There are pages to experiment with exaggerations, a word work page and a quick formative assessment.
Not shown on the slides because I ran out of room are the graphic organizers for gathering information.





We always love to end the unit with a pancake breakfast.
We make pancakes in our "mess hall" using griddles.
I invite the students to dress as tall tale characters.



0 comments:

Post a Comment